Friday, March 28, 2008

The Blessings of Paying My Tithing


As Paul Harvey used to say, "And now, for the rest of the story..."
So a while back I told you about how I was really feeling a need to get out of debt (not that we haven't heard that before). But anyway, it was heavy on my heart and I wanted more than anything to be debt-free. I'd been praying about it and then one Sunday while listening to a HC speak, I was prompted that "if (I) would pay my tithing on my gross, (I'd) have what (I) needed." Since I hate to pass up blessings that I'm praying for, I decided to try it. The next Sunday when I got paid I wrote the check out for the gross amount. Yap, that was quite a hunk more than my monthly budget allows, but I also know the Heavenly Father blesses us when we do what He asks. (Kind of like Daniel, heading back to school or Gracie paying her tithing and going without food.

Anyway, I started watching for blessings to come floating in and in the mean time, I filled out a few applications for places that I thought I'd enjoy working at. I even started to get excited about having a 2nd job because, I figured if one came along I'd probably have to take it so I might as well be excited about it.

I kept checking back with those places and still no jobs were coming my way. I was getting nervous about not even having enough for that months bills so I increased my prayers and told Heavenly Father that I really needed His help because I really needed more money to meet the needs and that I would even work for it. He has a unique way of dealing with me because He just kind of says it as it is. He said, "Then you're going to have to fill out some more applications." That made sense to me so that's what I did.

One day I was checking back at Garcia's Mexican Restaurant where I had left an application. The boss just happened to be in and he asked if I could come back in a week for an interview. I say, "Of course." and returned in a week at which time he said, "Can you come back in a week when my trainer is here so we can set up a training session?" Again, I said I could do that. Well, here I am training to be a server at Garcia and I'm so excited to have a job.

After a couple training days I'm not sure if my skills are in restaurant work. I was sent home the first day with about 32 pages they want memorized. I'm tested on them every time I go in and it isn't pretty. I have to know every ingredient in every dish and drink that they serve, not to mention all the protocols of the chain. (I should be studying right now but I'll make up for it tomorrow morning.) My trainer talks faster than I can hear and refers to things I know nothing about. However, I think I may have passed my test yesterday- just maybe! If so, I'll try the next test. They are pass or fail and if I could just remember what I study then I could do ok. If I pass all the tests then I think they'll even pay me to come to work.

And then yesterday, I received a call on my cell when I was in a meeting so I had to wait until I'd left for work at Garcia's before I could listen to the message. I was so excited. It was Joe Holland who is the Head Pharmacist at the Walmart Pharmacy where we get our prescriptions. He was asking if I was still interested in a job with him.

Well, since I'm not sure how Garcia's is going to play out, and since I'd really like to work for Joe, and since Walmart isn't all the way across town and since I could actually walk to it from our house and not use any gas, and since they close at 9:00 on week nights instead of 10:00, I told him "Yes". He said he was impressed with me (he's waited on us ever since Walmart opened the Pharmacy and he's always been a real gentleman) and he was impressed with my resume and, get this, he is tired to teenagers who sometimes show up and sometimes don't and he needs someone "more mature". I replied that I was definitely "more mature". He laughed and I laughed knowing how true it is just in years. So, he's going to get things set up with Personnel and then call me in.

So, see, now I have 3 jobs. Let's hope I can do at least two of them. And like I said, the blessings are just floating in. Next Sunday I'll be able to write out another "gross check" and know that the Lord keeps His promises when we do as He asks.

8 comments:

Dan Thomas said...

Dear Sandy,

I am glad that I am not the only one that thinks Tithing needs to be paid on the gross. I am sure however that you have been blessed much by the Lord because of your faithfulness in paying Tithes and Offering over the years.

Love,
Dan

Jenni said...

Wow you are one hard working woman. I am sure the Lord will bless you because I don't know of many others who are working 3 jobs!!! Okay maybe Will and I were working a combined total of 5 jobs last year, but that was between the two of us. I hope you can spend some good relaxing hours in your hot tub to reward yourself. :)

Sandy said...

Thanks Jenni, me too!!

The Thomas Family said...

Man, Sandy. You are trooper. Sounds like you might break Luke's record of four jobs at one time.

Will Thomas said...

It's good to be able to see the blessings. Sometimes, we are blessed, but yet overlook the blessing.

We had a similar experience lately, but it revolved around fasting. Before ending our fast for financial help, Jenni had 2 new piano students. The Lord always takes care of us as we take care of His work.

Sandy said...

Thanks for all the words of encouragement and support. I really appreciate each one of you. Together, we can make it all good.

Unknown said...

I think I'm getting tired just thinking of all your jobs. hopefully the wal-mart job pays better too. You are in our prayers, especially because you are trying to take care of your sister too. Thanks for the uplift.

Ellen H said...

I LOVE Walmart!!! Do you get an employee discount???